Do you want to buy Locally Grown Organic Produce?
• Fresh Fruits and Veggies with ...NO pesticides!
• Grown locally-Support your community!
• Large Variety of foods to make ...cooking fun!
• Delivered Close to Home!!
Check out the website below for information on joining a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Program.
Every week a variety of organic foods from South Florida are brought to a Drop-Off site for “Share Holders” to pick up.
We are trying to set up a Drop-
Off point in Miami lakes (near Miami Lakes Elementary School) so we need new members!
Contact Christina DeProspero at (305) 323-5548 or F_christina@hotmail.com
if you’re interested in getting healthy and joining our group!
MiAMI LAKES CONGREGATION IS GOING GREEN---- BUILDING A BETTER WORLD
“On Feb. 2, 2007, the United Nations scientific panel studying climate change declared that the evidence of a warming trend is "unequivocal," and that human activity has "very likely" been the driving force in that change over the last 50 years. The last report by the group, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, in 2001, had found that humanity had "likely" played a role.” New York Times, March 28, 2008.
Our Church Council approved to adopt anenvironmental Mission Statement drafted by Ms. Christina DeProspero, a member of our church and a biologist employed by Miami-Dade County Department of Environmental Resources Management (DERM). Our Mission Statement reads as follows:
It is the mission of the Miami Lakes Congregational Church to accept and
achieve the ENERGY STAR Challenge and reduce the energy used by 10% or
more. In addition, the MLCC will strive to make Green choices throughout
the office, school, church and congregation to solve, rather than cause both
environmental and social problems throughout the world.
The ENERGY STAR Challenge is a national call-to-action to improve the energy efficiency of America’s commercial and industrial buildings by 10 percent or more.
WHAT IS GLOBAL WARMING?
It is time for everyone to take action to reduce global warming. It is said that 1 person out of 100 will take action. This person will bring 9 more people on board, so only 10% of people will do something about it. INERTIA RULES? The remaining 90% will almost certainly do nothing, and outwardly register little or no interest either. We still have time to do something about it, but we need to reverse those percentage numbers. We all need to get out of our comfort zone, spend more time being part of the solution and not being part of the problem.
WHAT DO YOUR ACTIONS SAY ABOUT YOU?
Carbon dioxide and other gases warm the surface of the planet naturally by trapping solar heat in the atmosphere. This is a good thing because it keeps our planet habitable. However, by burning fossil fuels such as coal, gas and oil and clearing forests we have dramatically increased the amount of carbon dioxide in the Earth's atmosphere and temperatures are rising.
The vast majority of scientists agree that global warming is real, it's already happening and that it is the result of our activities and not a natural occurrence. 1 The evidence is overwhelming and undeniable. We're already seeing changes. Glaciers are melting, plants and animals are being forced from their habitat, and the number of severe storms and droughts is increasing
The average American generates about 15,000 pounds of carbon dioxide every year from personal transportation, home energy use and from the energy used to produce all of the products and services we consume.
There is no doubt we can solve this problem. In fact, we have a moral obligation to do so. Small changes to your daily routine can add up to big differences in helping to stop global warming. The time to come together to solve this problem is now -
Most emissions from homes are from the fossil fuels burned to generate electricity and heat. By using energy more efficiently at home, you can reduce your emissions and lower your energy bills by more than 30%. In addition, since agriculture is responsible for about a fifth of the world's greenhouse gas emissions, you can reduce your emissions simply by watching what you eat.
HERE IS HOW!
For further details on how this measures help click on the earth symbol